Other Locations:US- NJ- Summit East
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Global Project Leader is a critical role in the organization that has a significant impact on the development and life cycle of a therapeutic molecule. The Project Leader is accountable to governance committees for the establishment and execution of a global integrated development strategy for the molecule which includes scientific rationale, clinical development, regulatory and technical strategy, and a franchise plan that optimizes program value and is aligned with corporate business objectives. The Project Leader provides strategic leadership to the Global Project Team (GPT), and partners with functional area leaders to ensure that the team has necessary resources and capabilities to execute on the approved global molecule strategy.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as the leader of the cross-functional Global Project Team with accountability for molecule strategy and leadership throughout the molecule lifecycle, for both Celgene-sponsored development programs and for development projects with external collaborators.
- Lead and facilitate the Integrated Development Plan (IDP) process resulting in deliverables of articulated strategies and plans that align with Celgene’s Franchise Disease Strategies, and portfolio priorities.
- Leverage input from all critical functions and disease teams to identify and evaluate integrated development plans that maximize the value of the molecule through optimal balance of risk, timelines, cost and commercial potential.
- Mobilize and align the organization, including driving decision making at governance, to execute on the approved molecule strategy.
- Drive to a high performing team by establishing and communicating program vision and ensuring clear team member roles and responsibilities, promoting team cohesiveness to optimize performance, and mediating conflict resolution.
- Provide performance review input for key positions on the GPT.
- Work with his/her GPTs to devise project goals and objectives.
- Partner with relevant functions to develop effective working relationships both internally and with external key stakeholders (e.g., development partners, key opinion leaders).
- May directly manage Project Managers working on his/her projects.
- Along with the project manager, monitor project progress, cost, resource allocation, timelines and develop corrective actions if deviations occur.
- Participate in ongoing development and enhancement of cross-functional team structures, processes, systems, other tools and resources.
- Identify of ways to maximize the value of molecule by evaluating different development scenarios and selecting proposals for consideration.
- PhD, MD, MBA or relevant advanced degree with 10 years of multi-disciplinary experience in pharma or biotech research and development
- Experience leading in a cross-functional biotech or pharma drug development setting
- Experience as core member of a Global Project Team (or equivalent cross-functional team) for a sufficient amount of time to have contributed to a significant milestone (i.e. major regulatory submission)
- Superior cross-functional and cross-company collaboration skills
- Highly effective influencing skills and the ability to operate across multiple geographies
- Strong track record of delivering results through effective team and peer leadership
- Proven experience as a successful, decisive leader in a strategic multi-functional environment
- Proven ability to collaborate and work effectively with alliances and partners
- Ability to manage complex projects with ambitious milestones in high pressure circumstances
- Extensive knowledge of drug development and/or experience in more than one functional area such as non-clinical development, translational development, regulatory, commercial, medical affairs (commercial & Med affairs or Clinical R&D to assure broad understanding of the pharmaceutical development
- In depth knowledge in relevant therapeutic areas (oncology, I&I, cell therapies, or early development)
- Able to motivate and develop individual team members and overall team performance
- Ability to influence members of the team without direct managerial authority
- Ability to effectively manage conflicts and negotiations while providing impact and influence
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.