Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Research Alliance Operations Department has an exciting opportunity in Celgene Research & Development that involves working with some of the leading scientists and clinicians around the world who are engaged with us to uncover and develop novel treatments for life threatening diseases such as cancer and autoimmunity. The team provides broad support to Celgene scientists, discovery, and development teams to enable collaboration with research institutes worldwide in order to advance our drug discovery, translational development, and corporate objectives. The Research Alliance Development Office is the administrative group responsible for:
1. Accelerating and simplify pre-clinical alliance processes
2. Coordinating and managing the external research agenda consistent with corporate objectives
3. Providing a transparent process in concert with a database portal accessible across the organization
4. Support internal functions: Drug Discovery, Translational Development, Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Legal, Commercial, Project Leadership, and Business Development with academic and business-to-business preclinical alliances.
The Senior Coordinator applies vision, new perspective, and approaches that drive best-in-class practices in Research Alliance Development operations. Responsible for implementing and maintaining work processes and procedures that contributes and shapes the strategic direction of the department. Drives strategy development or business initiatives of Research Alliance Development in:
- Leadership in developing sustainable partnerships with key stakeholders
- Commitment to strengthen and safeguard Celgene’s IP portfolios by establishing critical relationships with university technology transfer offices
- Contract management support of Sponsored Research Agreement and Material Transfer Agreements
- Assistance with procuring research funding and shipment of API compounds
- Administration of Research and Translational Development Publication Clearance Review with internal and external authors (up to Phase 2a)
- Support Business Development & Global Alliances in the management of Celgene’s growing strategic R&D collaboration portfolio
- Coach and support other Research Alliance Coordinators
- Oversees spend against University and Contracted Research budget, to include continuous analysis, reconciliation, and forecasting of expenditures for multiple cost centers. Provides periodic reports on budgets and contracts; analyze and present data.
- Manages the Research and Translational Development Publication Clearance process (up to Phase 2a) across the R&ED organization.
- Identify needs and support for continuous improvement of business processes and policies; support management in planning and implementing improvements
- Partner with internal clients to drive resolution in contract and contract compliance matters
- Work with internal clients to understand business objectives and expectations; provides advice on budget, purchasing, contracting, publication, and compound management matters
- Serves as point of contact for external partners for all procure-to-pay inquiries.
- Draft, reviews, and approves Work Practices, Material Request Forms, Shipping Request Forms, Publication Submission Forms, and other relevant forms consistent with regulations, industry guidelines, and Celgene requirements
- Ensures contract templates, documents, and forms are up-to-date with corporate policies and country specific requirements
- Ensures Quality Assurance (QA) oversight on compound management and shipment handling, purchasing, contracting, budgeting, publication, and other relevant matters meets or exceeds industry trends and federal expectations; implements new policies/systems in keeping with constantly changing/emerging federal/industry requirements
- Establishes collaborative working relationships with internal business partners such as Legal, Procurement, Finance, and Accounts Payable (A/P) to maintain progress and efficiency of each academic alliances.
- Support Alliance Manager in a variety of projects
Requirements & Education
- BS Degree or equivalent experience; minimum 4 years of industry or relevant experience.
- Motivation to independently increase skills and knowledge.
Ability to work with minimal supervision, capable of applying knowledge to business practices and demonstrate a thorough understanding of the science involved.
Customer service oriented and be able to recognize and appreciate cultural sensitivities across a global enterprise.
Possess a basic understanding of legal terminology and the ability to comprehend terms and conditions set forth under legal documents.
Working knowledge of most corporate functions and understand operations across the industry. Provides supervision or training to new staff and less experienced employees as necessary.
Knowledge and Skills
- Capable of understanding verbal and written instructions pertaining to Research Alliance activities and assigned functions
- Recommends courses of action to senior management on a variety of issues within own function or discipline
- Recognizes and solves routine problems; identifies issues and works with team members to solve problems and knows when to escalate to management
- Strong interpersonal skills to work as a team-player and to effectively work with people of diverse rank and culture across a variety of business disciplines
- Accurate and precise, logical and organized, flexible and receptive to change
- Manages personal timeliness and prioritizes with minimal supervision and has input into team timeliness and expectations
- Knowledge of scientific, medical, and pharmaceutical terminology
- Solid experience and understanding of contracting and purchasing terms and conditions; finance/budget management; compound material shipping and handling; record management practices
- Strong PC and Microsoft Office Suite experience required, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint. Oracle, Basware, and DataVision experience preferred, or similar systems; ability to learn new applications
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.