Other Locations:US- WA- Seattle
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Associate Director, Immune Oncology Translational Development
The candidate will have responsibility for directing the scientific aspects of preclinical oncology drug development programs and translational medicine correlative studies in Immune Oncology. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing translational development strategies for Celgene’s drugs. Expertise in developing and qualifying biomarkers for clinical trials, and strong knowledge in immunology and tumor biology is required. The individual will supervise laboratory based experiments as well as work with contract research organizations and internal and external collaborators. Activities include carrying out mechanism of action studies, biomarker identification, and generation of data that supports patient stratification and the pharmacodynamic evaluation of drugs in the clinical setting.
- In-depth knowledge of fundamentals of immunology, immune oncology, and tumor biology in solid and hematological malignancies
- Utilization of translational based approaches to develop new concepts and mechanism of action hypotheses identifying distinguishing characteristic of Celgene compounds alone and in combination with other therapies
- Knowledge of biomarker discovery and development: assay development/validation, clinical discovery of biomarkers, MoA research, knowledge of platforms
- Accountability for translational and biomarker strategies and timelines across multiple programs
- Supervise scientific staff
- Manage programs in immune oncology drug development
- Lead Translational Development workgroups and guide cross‐functional teams.
- Work closely with corporate partners to support preclinical, translational and clinical development of cancer therapeutics
- Understand the context, impact and timely communication of data
- Utilize innovative approaches to develop scientific direction and strategy for projects
- Serve as translational development expert to multi‐disciplinary teams and senior management
- Build Translational Development Strategy for Celgene programs in collaboration with Translational Scientists and Project Teams
- Oversee Translational Scientists with the development of in-vitro and ex-vivo assays to translate preclinical data into clinical biomarkers for advancing drug candidates through clinical trials
- Guide Translational Scientists and project team members to critically analyze, interpret, report experimental results; draw appropriate conclusions and design next steps
- May serve or manage Translational Scientists who serve as translational lead on Global Project Teams for specific programs
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration with translational and clinical leads in multiple therapeutic and research areas
- Lead presentation of data and provide interpretation at key governance meetings
- Lead teams to establish and maintain working relationship with contract laboratories and relevant academic collaborators
- Ensure that the Immune Oncology group maintains current awareness in area of expertise, enhance the scientific credibility of Celgene through contributions to the scientific literature (publications/presentations)
- Contribute to the writing of investigator brochures, IND applications, clinical protocols, regulatory annual reports, and other regulatory documents when appropriate
- Ph.D. degree in immunology, tumor biology or cellular biology, or pharmacology with at least 3 years of successful post-doctoral experience, evidenced by a strong publication record, plus a minimum of 12 years of successful experience as a scientist preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated in a team environment
- Expertise in developing and implementing biomarker strategy for clinical trials, and strong knowledge in immunology and tumor biology
- Familiarity with data management tools and software for analyzing translational data sets from various assay formats. Biological interpretation of high content data sets in collaboration with computational biology
- Effective team building and teamwork skills and ability to interact with and manage research scientists, project teams, outside collaborators and commercial vendors
- Detail-oriented with the ability to identify and implement creative solutions
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.