Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego- Towne Center; US- WA- Seattle; US- MA- Cambridge; US- NJ- Summit West; US- CA- San Francisco- Owens Street Celgene
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
This position can be based in San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Cambridge or Summit.
Innovate! Integrate! Iterate! There has never been a better time - the patients are waiting! At Celgene, we’re focused on delivery of breakthrough medicines that address unmet medical needs for patients. Access to petabytes of extraordinarily rich clinical and molecular data now affords us one of the greatest opportunities for innovation in patient care in our history.
We seek a talented, collaborative leader to drive data & knowledge management activities to enable Celgene’s global Research & Early Development ecosystem. Collaborate with computational, pre-clinical, translational and clinical researchers as well as software developers, architects, IT experts and external partners to radically advance our ability to structure, navigate, integrate and interrogate public, partner and internal datasets seamlessly. Pioneer groundbreaking tools that enable curation, publication, search, visualization, analysis and data-driven decision making for therapeutic programs.
This role focuses on enabling new levels of utilization of data and knowledge drawn from diverse assays such as sequencing, proteomics, flow cytometry and chemical profiling to support preclinical and clinical studies. The successful candidate will work closely with stakeholders to understand and prioritize opportunities to prototype, develop, integrate and deliver software, databases, interactive tools and data management capabilities that foster and embrace creativity and iterative exploration—unlocking the full potential of available data for patient benefit for diverse applications.
As part of Celgene’s global Research Informatics & Knowledge Utilization team, this opportunity is perfect for an individual with excellent leadership, communication and collaboration skills and a passion for innovating, building and delivering breakthrough solutions that enable life science research. Ideal applicants are looking to bridge the gap between industry and academic research environments to impact delivery of truly innovative and life-changing therapies.
- Make data and knowledge available, accessible, and approachable! Drive leading data and knowledge management applied research & development towards key Celgene scientific objectives.
- Mentor and lead a talented interdisciplinary team. Recruit, retain and coordinate team with internal, external & partner resources to create an environment that fosters technical and career growth.
- Revolutionize processes toward real-time data-driven research decision-making and data capture. Harness cloud computing technologies to ensure seamless, scalable capability to rapidly ingest, integrate, curate and access datasets from collaborators, external laboratories and public databases in close collaboration with computational researchers.
- Engage across the board with Celgene researchers to understand and prioritize data and knowledge management requirements. Partner with analytics, engineering and IT collaborators to pilot, evaluate, build, deliver and enhance solutions that address these requirements.
- Collaboratively coordinate evaluation, integration and delivery of cutting-edge data and knowledge management platforms that enable integrated analysis of internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions across therapeutic programs.
- Develop and present strategic and tactical solutions, processes & plans in close partnership with researchers, developers, and IT collaborators
- Drive strategic knowledge & data management collaborations with academic and commercial thought leaders to benefit therapeutic programs.
- Assist in developing and managing big data translational genomics projects in strategic disease areas of interest.
- Empower researchers to readily publish/disseminate/share significant research outcomes & underlying datasets—and to find relevant data assets from other research groups.
- Champion data governance best practices, ensuring clear data definitions, master data, and taxonomies are in place and coordinated with partners across Celgene.
- Architect, build, deliver and iteratively enhance tools for interpretation of patient molecular and clinical data to enable therapeutic research & development in close partnership with Research & IT collaborators.
- PhD (or advanced degree with equivalent experience) in computer science, scientific information management or related field relevant to data-driven life sciences research.
- 16+ years’ experience in innovative inter-disciplinary computational and molecular/chemical/cellular biology or related research in a university, health care, pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment
- Expert in contemporary biomedical databases & knowledge dissemination. Experience with NGS, functional genetics, EMR and mass-spec data storage, query and dissemination highly desired.
- Expert in data and knowledge management practices and data governance processes
- Passion for research, development and delivery of breakthrough data/knowledge management and dissemination technologies that drive patient benefit
- Proven team leadership experience, including ability to recruit & develop top talent, leadership by influence and engagement with internal and external inter-disciplinary teams to achieve results
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Contextual understanding of drug discovery & development process. Understand the complexity and opportunity to capture knowledge from clinical data flows
- Well-organized and able to leverage and champion tools that facilitate collaboration across a global organization
- Open-minded and humble
- Innovative, start-up/entrepreneurial mindset
- Familiar with data & knowledge modeling techniques e.g. RDF, OBO, Protégé, OLAP, OLTP & graphical data modeling
- Drive to iteratively enhance and experiment—this is a perpetually evolving space & opportunity!
- 20% travel is required
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.